Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Much More than Cookies

Hello. Yes, I have big news. And in the tradition of Red Meat Night I want to tell a very good story along with the news. Now, for all of you who think that you have to pull news out of me I will do my best to prove otherwise.

Last weekend I had Fall Break (a big deal for someone who has never even experienced Spring Break). Nathan and I met in Colorado Springs. On Thursday morning we planned to go up to Denver, but Nathan kept insisting that we go to Pike's Peak first. (This is an interesting mountain because you can drive to the top of it even though it's 14,111 ft. On top they have a gift shop and a really nice view of the city.) Nathan had told me a few days earlier that he thought that would be a nice thing to do, but I didn't really want to go. Pike's Peak is in the opposite direction of Denver, and I was pretty certain it would be cold, foggy, and windy on the top of the mountain. Because he wanted to go I went along with the idea. He was pretty insistent that I would like the trip. However, when we got to the Pike's Peak Highway we learned that the road was closed at around 12,ooo ft. So instead of driving to that point we turned around and went to Garden of the Gods. Some of you may have been to the Garden of the Gods during our many trips to indoor Conference. It's a pretty amazing park at the base of the mountains with large red rock formations. It was a really lovely stroll and when we found ourselves alone Nathan asked me to marry him. It was simple, beautiful and also somewhat of a surprise. I admit that the insistence on seeing Pike's Peak right then was a bit suspicious. And so, I am now engaged to be married, and we are both very happy.

Well, it looks like I won't be in Kansas for too much longer. I can't say that I'm sorry. We will hopefully find someplace where I can finish the Ph.D. and Nathan can start working. Right now Nathan has a job offer in Portland so it's likely we'll be going there. Nathan will finish school in December, and it looks like we'll be getting married in March. I will be sure to let all of you know.

I've also posted a picture of me and Nathan Stephens. This was taken on Saturday. We were at a party with my family and some of my mom's friends were hugely excited about my news. It was rather amusing.

Keep posting.

JoLee


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home