Sunday, October 10, 2004

Emily Raymond a.k.a. "MARS" from Boston

That's right, my BYU days are over. I graduated in April with my degree in print journalism. Scott and I moved to Boston, where he is going to Harvard in biophysics. I'm probably the youngest to post on this site, but hey, Sherida made me do it. Sherida is in my ward, where she is the nursery leader. Scott and I are team Sunbeam teachers. I think both Sherida and I are incredibly baby-hungry! Unfortunately, I live in a leaded apartment. So no babies until the lease runs out.

I don't know if any of you met Scott, my hot husband. He was in my ward during my junior year at BYU, when I was living with Tia Babbel (now Hejny), Katie Moon and Anika Smith (now Busby). Scott was a double nerd in applied physics and neuroscience at BYU. Tia set us up and we enjoyed many a date after that. Scott served his mission in Russia Moscow South, where Hyrum served his mission. Scott says Hyrum is an awesome awesome guy and totally approves. Perhaps I can get him to post some old mission stories or something. Anyway, Scott is from Montana and enjoys everything outdoorsy: camping, climbing, hiking, etc. Right now, he is more indoorsy in the lab, experimenting with all kinds of imaging systems like ultrasound and CAT scans and whatnot. When he's had enough fun with that (and gets a Ph.D. and possibly an M.D.), he hopes to do research in the pharmaceutical industry and/ or become a professor to teach all the cool stuff he's learned. Look out for him; I think he will be up for a Nobel pretty soon.

I had an internship at a magazine publishing company during the summer. If you fly Continental Airlines through November, check out their in-flight magazine (my stuff is in there). Now I'm working at an internet company writing reviews and news about digital cameras and camcorders: digitalcamerainfo.com and camcorderinfo.com. I also do a bunch of the product photography for the websites, so all the photos posted after mid-August or so are mine. The best perk about the job is that I can do it pretty much whenever I want. I love flexible hours. I just started freelance writing and photographing for New England Runner Magazine. I write short blurbs about road races, take photos and someday when I have a moment, I'll write a feature or two.

Speaking of running, Sherida and I joined the Greater Boston Track Club, a post-collegiate running club for crazies like us. I just can't get enough of the team atmosphere. Last week, I ran the Akron Marathon in my hometown of Akron, Ohio. It was my first marathon and it showed. Went out fast. Biffed it on the hills. But ended up running a 3:07:59 anyway. I'm hoping to improve on that time in the Boston Marathon. Until then, I will be enjoying much shorter distances like the 5K and the 10K.

That's about it for now. I love this whole idea of blogging. Keep it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home