Friday, September 24, 2004

Greetings From Kansas

Wow. We really are getting spread out across the country. It's kind of fun to think that I have friends in so many different places these days. And I always love to hear how everyone is faring in their parts of the country.

So, Kansas... I am here starting my Ph.D. in Art History. It's actually a really nice place. Kansas' greatest asset is that everyone is really nice here. Niceness is a Kansan theme I think. I have been really impressed with how personable and genuine my professors are. However, while I do like the professors, my judgment of the program as a whole is still pending. I' m not certain I know enough about it yet to give the thumbs up. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying learning about Kansas. I decided that I needed to do "Kansas cultural activities" so that I can learn about where I now live. My activities so far have included: going to the artsy movie theater downtown, getting a library card at the public library, eating ice cream at the "best place in town," and a trip to the art museum in Kansas City, and I have some other plans as well.

My roommate, Becky, is great. I think that we were meant to be friends. We are in the same general stage of life, which makes conversation very natural. So, I'm glad to have a friend. Another great thing about Kansas is that it is really pretty. The land here really appeals to me. I like the trees and the rivers. A few weeks ago we took a temple trip to Winter Quarters (remember our trips there during Indoor?) and the drive was enchanting. It's not an in your face beautiful like the mountains, but it's very pleasant. I think I need to start taking pictures and then maybe I can post them someday.

However, there are plenty of things that I don't like about Kansas as well, not the least being that Nathan is in Utah. He's finishing his Master's program in Statistics and will be done in December, which is really not very far away. After that? Well, I'll keep you updated. We are working on it, and I'm keeping an open mind to all possibilities. I was out in California last weekend, as you know from Kristin's update, for Nathan's sister's baby blessing. It was really nice to be together, and we will see each other again in a few weeks because I have a Fall Break (amazing after BYU's no-breaks ever policy). Kristen, Nathan said he really enjoyed visiting you before you ever said all that great stuff about him. And I'm really glad we had a chance to come by. There's nothing like old friends! And in case you were wondering all those comments Kristen made about Nathan are true.

I hope all of you are doing well. This seems to be a great way to stay in touch. Thanks for setting it up Kristen.

Love,
JoLee



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home